November 12, 2007
6:00 - 7:30 pm
State Technical Community College
10915 Hardin Valley Road, Knoxville
Lamar Alexander Building, Room 223
of the Tennessee Marble Industry Museum
in the Former Candoro Marble Company Building in South Knoxville
William A. (Bill)
Tennessee Tech University
Bill Goodwin, Chair of the Museum Committee of the South Knoxville Arts and Heritage Center, will present a brief history of the marble industry in Tennessee and the historic Candoro Marble Company building and showroom where a museum is located. Tennessee Marble, actually limestone from the Ordovician Holston Formation in East Tennessee, has been used in more than 20 states, including many statehouses. Locations where Tennessee marble has been used include the Morgan Bank on Wall Street in New York City; the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.; public buildings in Knoxville and Nashville, Tennessee; and many other locations.
The Candoro Marble Company was once the leading supplier of Tennessee pink marble. The Candoro Marble Works, established in 1914, was a marble manufacturing plant, sawing and finishing Tennessee marble and imported stone. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. The foundation of the Museum is the works of Master Carver, Alberto Milani, whose most visible local creation is the fašade of the old Knoxville Post Office. The Museum, located at the corner of Maryville Pike and Candoro Avenue in South Knoxville, is open to the public by appointment for tours and special events.
Page updated May 26, 2018